Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mothers and Grandmothers: Hawkeye Football Pork Sticks

This recipe is brought to me by Nick’s stepmother.

The best thing about this recipe: This is exactly the kind of meal that I would like to make for a summer BBQ or a housewarming party.  Going by the name, I suspect that this is perfect for football parties too. It is far more interesting and tasty than the generic hot dog/hamburger combo. The sweet and tangy pork can work with a variety of leftovers---we ate it all week long.

2 Cups soy sauce (1 small bottle will not cut it, get the big bottle)

2-3 Cups brown sugar (I met in the middle with 2 ½ )

¼ Cup Tobasco

Juice of 1 lemon

Pork shoulder cut into Kabob pieces


 
 

Marinate pork for at least 24 hours. Skewer and grill. In my case, I used the broiler.

 


I have to admit that I don’t know Nick’s step-mother as much as I would like. It is a bit of a shame, because I suspect that she is a really fun, easy going, person. I think the Hawkeye pork harkens to that sense of fun, and love of the game. It’s sweet, with a bit of kick. She is clearly a wonderful and caring mother, and I really enjoyed spending time with her lovely family at our wedding.
 
...And I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  I'll be making this again, and I will snap a picture later.

No comments:

Post a Comment