Monday, July 1, 2013

Chicago Saga III: The Easiest Shredded BBQ Beef

This recipe comes from the youngest of the Chicago Carlton clan.

The best thing about this recipe: You make this what you want it to be. If you really like it spicy, Kansas style, NC style, or want to switch out beef for pork, go ahead! It is great for a big summer BBQ, a family dinner (with children or other picky eaters), or if you are hosting a football game. I think it would also work really well if you are pressed for time, and want lots of easy leftovers for the week. Moms of the world: this is a crock pot recipe!

Note: This came with a side as well, but the side is the same as someone else’s recipe, so I can’t use it here :P

3 lb roast (I like an arm roast the best, but I have made this using whatever roast I could get my hands on)
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar (you can use red wine vinegar too, but stay away from distilled white)
1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (we love KC Masterpiece Original)

Place the roast in your slow cooker, pour the vinegar over the roast, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.


Remove the roast from the cooker and shred the meat with 2 forks.








  Be sure to toss any pieces of fat that did not dissolve in the cooking process.
Dump all the juices from the cooker, place the shredded beef back into the pot, mix in your BBQ sauce and heat for 30 minutes on low.



Serve on hamburger buns straight out of the pot. (Chef’s note: here in the south, we like to put coleslaw on our pulled meat BBQ sandwiches HIGHLY recommended).


Vegetarian Option: For this? HA! Bring your own salad. I would not trust any fake meat/soy products in a crock pot.

Back Story: I’m not going to lie; I used to be a little obsessed with her as a child. She was like an older sister that I always wished I had. I certainly would have been a much cooler teenager if I had her around. Her great beauty, her super cool and edgy teenage ways---I idolized her. She always wanted to spend time with us children. I remember when she tried to help me be a little cooler by learning some crazy new dance moves (from the 90s). She had paper cut outs of feet/shoes arranged so that I could learn where to step. After a day of practice and a lot of patience, she realized that I was a lost cause. She has always had a special place for children in her big, generous, heart. Now she is the mother, and this does not surprise me, considering her recipe. This would be a great staple for any mom on the go—which is every mom I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment