Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Monday: Lasagna


 
          1 Can of whole tomatoes

         1 Pound of sausage

         1 Small can of tomato sauce

         1 Pound of cottage cheese

         1 Egg

          Small handful of parmesan

          No bake noodles

          2 cups Mozzarella

Cook the sausage at medium high heat, until browned. Feel free to add onions or garlic as well, since I forgot. Cut tomatoes into 4ths and add to sausage. I used a can of tomato sauce as well, but I think a can of tomato paste with 3 cans of water would create a saucier mixture.

To make the cheese mixture, I prefer cottage cheese to ricotta. However you decide, adding and a small handful of parmesan will make a big difference in flavor. I include an egg as well.
 

I also prefer no bake lasagna noodles—it cuts down on the time and the mess. Since lasagna noodles are cooked twice and don’t need to be al dente, I really don’t see any difference in texture.
 

I ladled the sauce into a 9x9 pan and then added 2 no bake noodles. Then I added another layer of sauce, a layer of cottage cheese and topped with 2 more noodles. I poured the rest of the sauce onto the last layer of noodles and topped with 2 cups of Mozzarella. I followed the cooking directions on the box of the no bake noodles, since they aren’t the traditional type.

I cheated a little with this recipe, since the only farmer’s market items are the eggs and sausage. I found the sausage to be rather salty, so I would opt for low salt options for the sauces. I think if I had added onions, garlic and tomato paste it would have been more flavorful, but it is still a pretty good lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment