Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Mothers and Grandmothers: Romaine Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing


This recipe is brought to me by my grandmother on my mother’s side.

The best thing about this recipe:  This is fast, inexpensive and healthy—three things I am always looking for in my recipes. It would be great if your body feels run down, and hasn’t gotten enough vitamins or nutrients. I made this right before a run and it was so light it felt great. Just don’t make it before a job interview.

Dressing:
1/3 Cup Sugar
¼ Cup milk
¾ Cup mayo
2 Tablespoons Vinegar
12 (teaspoons) poppy seeds

 
*I put teaspoons in parentheses since the original recipe said Tablespoons (and that would be ¾ a cup of poppy seeds, way too many). I think it was a typo. I also use Apple cider Vinegar since it is my favorite

 

Mix and shake well. You will want to refrigerate it for a while so it can thicken.

Salad:

1 bunch romaine lettuce
1 pint Strawberries, sliced
½ Purple onion sliced thin (leave in rings)

I went to the farmer’s market for the lettuce and the strawberries---I highly recommend that if you are able.  Combine all ingredients and enjoy.

 
 

Vegetarian: This is already a vegetarian recipe

Back Story: I am a little surprised that my grandmother, who has lived most of her life in the Northern Plains, chose this recipe. There is no meat; there are no potatoes, or any cans of mushroom soup. I suppose that I shouldn’t be so surprised, I know my mother told me that she would serve a salad at every meal, which was very unconventional for the times. I appreciate that she put such an emphasis on good, healthy, meals for her family before it was trendy. Although she is quiet and always appropriate, she is always honest, and has a strong resolve. My favorite memories have been recent ones of me and Nick talking late into the night on warm Virginian nights. She is one classy lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment