Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Tuesday: Shish Kabobs

Marinade:

4 TB lemon infused olive oil

¼ Cup of olive oil

¼  Cup of good Balsamic vinegar

1 TSP rosemary

1 TSP oregano

1 TBS garlic

Kabobs:
2 Tomatoes
1 Onion
2 Bell peppers
1 TBS vinegar
2 TBS oil
1 Pound stew meat

Sides:
Corn on the cob
Rice 

I use about a quarter cup of olive oil and a quarter cup of lemon olive oil, and if I did it again, I would use all lemon infused olive oil. It was mild enough to do so. If you don’t have lemon infused olive oil, you can use the regular one, or zest a lemon and add. I highly recommend it though. Lemon has a way of making balsamic sweeter and really complements it (especially for the veggies). I used a quarter of a cup of really good balsamic vinegar for the stew meat and marinated for 45 minutes. I also added 1 Tsp of rosemary and oregano with a tablespoon of garlic. While this is marinating, soak your wooden skewers for 20 minutes or more so that they don’t burn.
 
 

For the veggies, I quartered 2 tomatoes, 1 red onion, 2 green bell peppers. I marinated them in 2 tablespoons of lemon olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar for 20 minutes.

Since I live an apartment, I don’t have a grill. Instead, I used my oven broiler. I cooked them for 10 minutes, (although next time I might try 8 for the meat). I used one of those steamables chicken flavored rice as the base, and placed the veggies and meat on top. I also served with a side of corn. This was my favorite farmer’s market meat. It was sweet and savory and wonderful. The meat was a little fatty, but it was discarded parts of the roast, so it was really high quality. I only wish I had bought some zucchini.
 
 
 

The veggies were fresh, flavorful, and the kabob allows them to be showcased (instead of doused in sauces). Worth it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment