Monday, July 22, 2013

Sunday Chicken Dinner


1 Whole chicken, 5 pounds

1 Bunch of herbs:  basil, rosemary and thyme

Olive oil or butter

Aromatics (non farmer’s market items): apple and onion


The first thing I notice about the chicken is the smell. There is no smell or excess blood or anything. Usually, the store bought chickens have this raw meat stench that I just try to ignore. This is already off to a great start.

I used olive oil instead of butter, because I want to make sure I have enough for the meals I know that depend on it later. I think of oil as a condiment here, like salt or pepper, which I also used. I was able to get fresh herbs, 1 ziplock bag full for 3 dollars. Those are so potent; I only used about a tablespoon or so. I tried to get some herbs under the skin, as well as on top. I also used a quarter of an onion and half an apple to put inside the bird for an aromatic effect. It also helps with flavoring the gravy. I did not buy those at the market, but you don’t have to put anything in your bird at all if you don’t have them on hand. I put some rosemary and basil inside the cavity as well.
 

The bird goes in at 425 for 40 minutes, 400 for 30. Feel free to baste.
 

Green beans:


Bunch of green beans

1 TBS Balsamic vinegar

Garlic salt and pepper


Boil water in a pot, and add your green beans for 2 minutes. I like to clip off the ends, first, but that is just my preference. Then immediately drain them and put them in iced water to stop the cooking process. This is called blanching. I put some fresh basil on top with garlic salt and balsamic vinegar.

 
Mashed potatoes:


Potatoes

Splash of milk


Peel potatoes while waiting for water to boil on the stove. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, and drain. Mash the potatoes in a bowl with a splash of milk.

Verdict:  This is a success. The green beans taste so fresh, and even the potatoes taste more flavorful than the grocery store variety.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment